PREPAID ELECTRICITY CARDS VOUCHER CARDS
What is a prepaid voucher card?
A prepaid electricity voucher card is a printed card or receipt purchased at any SEC authorized distributor. It entitles the bearer to a monetary value of prepaid electricity units which are then loaded into a prepayment meter for consumption.
Moving forward with prepaid; previously, SEC customers were only able to purchase prepaid units of electricity at SEC revenue offices. SEC has since realized that customer restriction to the purchasing of prepaid electricity units only at their revenue offices is a huge inconvenience to customers. As a means of mitigating this inconvenience, SEC has brought choice to consumers by introducing voucher cards. The introduction of voucher cards means that the customer can purchase the prepaid units at any approved vendor besides the SEC revenue offices
. The customer can then load such units in the comfort of their own premises at anytime
How to use a prepaid voucher
- Step 1: open by tearing off card on the side.
- Step 2: open new SMS in your cellphone.
- Step 3: type your METER NUMBER i.e01000000032, press space bar once then the RECHARGE PIN i.e7663868513825406
- Step 4: send SMS to 8888
- Step 5: you will receive a message with a 20 digit number with the amount of electricity purchased e.g : 61612494468171847100 (155.10kWh)
- Step 6: enter the 20 digit number on the prepayment customer interface unit (CIU)/meter.
- Step 7: For queries please call the nearest depot/service center or Toll Free 8009000. When the pin number and meter number have been entered correctly the customer will receive a message like the one that follows. i.e. iPay Electricity
- Message when pin is correct and entered for the second for the same meter number.
i.e. iPay Electricity
Token : 61612494468171847100 (155.10kWh)
- Message when low value amount is tendered i.e. iPay Electricity failed: Amount requested too small try a larger amount.
- Message when customer owes SEC and is required to clear old debt which is less than amount tendered i.e. iPay Electricity
Token : 52768573260765954201 (51.7kWh)
Debt paid: 16.65
- Message when customer owes SEC and is required to clear old debt which is larger than the amount tendered i.e. iPay Electricity failed:
Amount requested too small try a larger amount.
- Message when meter number is incorrect i.e. iPay Electricity Failed: Unknown meter number.
- Message when PIN is incorrect i.e. iPay Electricity Failed: Voucher invalid.
- Message when PIN is correct and has been used on another meter i.e. iPay Electricity Failed: Voucher invalid.
Frequently asked questions
- What should I do when I misplace or loose my voucher card before sending the message?
Unfortunately SEC cannot reimburse you for lost or misplaced voucher cards.
- How long does it take for the voucher to expire?
The voucher never expires.
- Can I load an older token after I have loaded a new one?
Unfortunately no, once you receive your access number you must use it before you can use a new one.
Additional benefits of the prepaid vouchers
- No waiting in long queues
- Can load the electricity units anytime
- Nationwide coverage
- Offers consumer choice
PO Box 258
Tel: (00268) 2 409 4000
Fax: (00268) 2 404 2335