SAVE ELECTRICITY AND SAVE MONEY
Most of the families use much of electricity in the morning between 07:00am - 10:00 am. During this time you can save a great deal of electricity! Everyone in the family must know how to save electricity - saving electricity equals to saving money.
It is recommended that you use energy savers or compact fluorescent lights because they consume less electrify and they last longer than incandescent lamps (the usual bulb). Switch off unnecessary lights. Clean your light bulb frequently; layers of dust absorb up to 30% of the light from bulbs.
Kitchen Electric Appliances
- Electric Stove: At the start of your cooking process set your plate high until what you cook boils and then reduce heat so that what you cook may seam well. Make sure your stove is clean so that dirt may not absorb heat causing you to pay high bills. Match pans and pots to plate. A small pot on a large plate means that heat around the pot is wasted yet it must be paid for. Pots with distorted bottoms are not recommended-do not use them because they require more heat. Switch off your stove plate immediately after use or just before the food is fully cooked.
- Oven: Do not use oven to warm or heat the kitchen, it is more expensive and far less efficient than a normal heater. Close oven door until what you are cooking is ready. Switch off oven immediately after use. Microwave ovens, frying pans, and toasters are cheaper to operate than a stove. Do not use microwave to defrost because it uses more electricity; rather defrost overnight as it is free.
- An Electric Kettle: Please, do not fill the kettle to the brim if you are making only one or two cups of coffee; the element should, however, be always covered. It is cheaper to boil water in an electric kettle than in a pot on the stove. Store the hot water in a thermos flask for later use.
- An electric Iron: Before you start your ironing, sort your washing according to their linen, for example, jeans aside, shirts together and so on and so on. Set your electric iron according to the heat required by the type the clothes. Do not iron and cook simultaneously because you may waste electricity while you attend the other process.
- Refrigerators: Choose a refrigerator size based on the needs of your family, refrigerators operate at peak efficiency when filled. Do not open refrigerator door unnecessary. Ensure that the door seals or rubbers are still in good condition. Before you place food or liquids in the refrigerator make it a point it is cool not hot. Clean or defrost your refrigerator regularly according to the manufacture's specifications. A heavy build-up ice reduces operating efficiency and increases the running costs, which includes paying high bills.
Warming or Room heating:
If you are not in the house, switch off your heater. Put on warm cloths to avoid unnecessary usage of electricity. Insulate the ceiling with insulation material. Keep doors to unheated rooms closed. Draught through doors and windows can increase room-heating costs by as much as 15%. Do not allow cold winds to get into the house, close all possible inlets. Make sure the aluminum part at the back of your heater is clean and shining because it helps in retaining heat in the room. Coat it with foil paper if it has turned black so that your room remains warm. In the bedroom it is cheaper to use an electric blanket than to heat the room with a heater.
Electric geysers: Do not set the thermostat too high. It is recommended that you set it between 55-60 degrees Celsius. Cover your geyser with an insulation blanket. Also cover the pipes that carry hot water with insulation so that heat may not be lost. Do not use more hot water in the bath than necessary.
- Environment: When we save electricity and use it properly it is one way good to preserve our environment. Electricity keeps the air we breathe and the water we drink clean and if we keep on saving electricity, we are making our environment better for us all.
- Job Opportunities: Our country does not have much electricity generated locally so we are expected to save the least we have. This will help the country not to lose its economy and new job opportunities will be created through saving. Saving electricity is equal to saving money.
PO Box 258
Tel: (00268) 2 409 4000
Fax: (00268) 2 404 2335